Monday, March 28, 2011

Hey There!

My name is Drew Sanders

I grew up in Northern Virginia, about 10 minutes away from Washington DC, but I currently live in Winston-Salem. I study Film and University of North Carolina School of the Arts.

Sibling-wise, I only have one sister who's 2 years younger than me. Shes back home right now with both my parents. I do get homesick every so often, but I've been away from home enough that I'm fine with it, as long as I can visit back every so often.


I come from a pretty small family. My mothers side is Italian and my fathers is Polish. Im a 4th generation immigrant. I've never been to Italy or Poland, but I would like to visit both those places. I love to travel.

I rowed on my highschools Crew team, and was captain my senior year. I had to give that up when I went to college, but I was at that point where I was happy with how I did. Other than my freshman year, my boat went to nationals every year. We managed to get silver medals at states every year, which was annoying, because of circumstances, but we could have gotten gold. 


I'm a film major. I came to UNCSA wanting to do editing, but now I've changed over to production design. Ive worked on several upperclassmen productions and I really enjoy it

 I've lived in the suburbs all my life, so I have no real experience with growing food. Harvesting though, is a different story. I am an Eagle Scout, and for my project, I worked with a local food bank and farms in order to glean (or pick the produce leftover from the mechanical harvester that would usually get plowed under) for needy families. Over the course of 4 weekends last summer, we managed to pick over 3,500 pounds of fresh fruit and vegetables.

I was always interested in art from a young age. During the summer of my 8th grade year, I bought a video camera from money I had saved while working. We went on a family vacation to the Grand Canyon. I filmed for the entire time, and was hooked since. During my freshman year, I started filming little videos for every group project that I had. I enjoyed doing it, but I never really thought I would turn it into a career. For a year or two, my interest died out, but then I decided to come to the summer program at UNCSA, and was once again hooked.

I've traveled a lot over the past few years. Ive been to the Bahamas, The British Virgin Islands, England (London and the Cotswolds), and all over the US. Depending on where I went, I learned a lot from the countries. I went to London with my church group to learn about the foundations of the Episcopal Church. The Bahamas and BVI had its luxurious tourist locals, but we also saw the poverty in those areas.


Living 10 minutes from Washington DC, we had a lot of ambassadors living in our area, and our school was very diverse. In my elementary school alone, out of the 300 kids in grades K-6, we had over 70 nationalities, and 40 languages were spoken. It was very interesting growing up around all these different people and learning about different cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment